Expert Witness Services & Qualifications
Bari Expert Services - Download in PDF Format | Bari Bio - Download in PDF Format
To objectively help the trier of fact understand the issues or determine disputed facts, Jonathan H. Bari can analyze complicated technical issues, synthesize disparate data points and communicate the story in plain English in both written and oral accounts, often aided by demonstrative exhibits.
For example, in this day and age of phishing scams and identity theft where recent headlines feature stories of privacy issue violations and security breaches from various entities such as AOL, the U.S. Government, Choice Point, Bank of America and LexisNexis, Jon provides his clients with a competitive edge to understand identity theft, digital identity and online privacy and security matters, ranging in scope on matters from regulatory issues to high stakes complex litigation.
Jon Bari provides his clients with unique insight and
analysis on various subject matters including:
- Identity Theft
- Digital Identity
- Online Identification & Authentication
- Online Privacy & Security
- Internet Applications
- Internet & Web Strategies
- Privacy & Security Audits
- Technology & Strategy
By way of another example, when Jon was engaged to analyze a data security breach for a software company in the healthcare industry, Jon’s approach was process driven whereby his methodology focused on strategic and tactical issues such as:
- Technological Processes
- Management Processes
- Operational Processes
- Back end (system architecture, system applications and system administrators)
- Front end (end user experience)
- User Interface Design & Functionality
Jonathan H. Bari is President of Bari Consulting Group which provides expert witness and consulting services to firms on various matters including identity theft, digital identity, online privacy and security matters as well as strategic planning, marketing and business development.
Jon also serves as the Founder and Chairman of The Constitutional Walking Tour of Philadelphia.
Additionally, Jon serves as an Adjunct Professor of Business at Temple University’s Fox School of Business where he teaches strategic planning.
Jon’s thought leadership and expertise in digital identity, identity theft, online privacy and security, Internet application and Web strategies, as well as Technology and Strategy have been honed through his work on various matters including:
- Invented United States Patent entitled, “Method and system for secure registration, storage, management and linkage of personal authentication credentials data over a network.” United States Patent Number 7,155,739, issued on December 26, 2006, and which claims priority to Provisional Patent Application 60/176,020 filed on January 14, 2000 (principal inventor and owner of U.S. Patent 7,155,739, and corresponding international patent issued in Israel, Patent #150728).
- Served as one of the contributing authors to the first Specifications produced by the Liberty Alliance, the global identity consortium (which initially involved 42 companies including Mr. Bari’s firm, Catavault, as well as American Express, AOL, Sun Microsystems) working to build a more trusted Internet for consumers, governments and businesses worldwide.
- Invited to testify in front of the United States Senate Judiciary Committee on online identification and authentication as well as Internet competition in September 2001.
- Served as Founder, Chairman & CEO of PINvault.com Inc. d/b/a Catavault, a single sign-on security software firm that eliminated the need for multiple authentication credentials such as user names, PINs and passwords (Time Warner Cable was its largest client). Catavault was developed as an online “Fort Knox” that was never unlawfully and fully penetrated by any hackers, and Catavault protected its users’ personal data with Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) technology which encrypted all communications between a user’s Web browser and Catavault’s servers. Errors and Omissions insurance was underwritten through a special policy with Lloyd’s of London syndicates that utilized IBM Internet Emergency Response Service to audit the security of the Catavault network. Privacy certification was audited and certified by both BBBOnLine and TRUSTe. Catavault also employed a multiple-tiered architecture with redundant firewalls that prevented unlawful penetration by outside parties. Among its many press accolades, Catavault was awarded CNN Site of the Day on October 14, 2000 when CNN called Catavault “one site that can get you in anywhere.” Jon recruited and chaired a world-class Board of Directors including the: Former Chief Marketing Officer of The Coca-Cola Company; Retired President and CEO of Philip Morris USA; EVP & CFO of Cott Corp.; and Former Chairman and CEO of Razorfish.
- Met with officials of the U.S. Government’s E-Authentication Gateway Team on several occasions about their common authentication service and single sign-on capability initiatives across all Federal e-Government services; responded to the United States General Services Administration’s (“GSA”) E-Authentication Initiative, Request for Information dated July 12, 2002, GSA RFI Number T02-ALD-001.
- Served as a member of the Computer & Communications Industry Association (CCIA), the leading industry advocate in promoting open, barrier-free competition in the offering of computer and communications products and services worldwide. Provided expert analysis on online identification and authentication and digital identity, specifically pertaining to industry and corporate strategies, software applications as well as privacy and security implications.
- Authored various work product documents and White Papers on Digital Identity including “Open Sesame White Paper - Online Identification & Authentication Federations” and “Catavault Technical White Paper”.
- Authored one of the 47 Major Tunney Act comments regarding the United States v. Microsoft Antitrust Settlement; Catavault’s Comments were deemed as “major” by the United States Department of Justice. In total, there were 34,000 comments filed, but less than 0.1% were deemed as major.
- Authored Catavault’s Comments to the Federal Trade Commission “In the Matter of Microsoft Corporation on the Agreement Containing the Consent Order.”
- Retained by one of the world’s leading providers of trusted data aggregation solutions specializing in the financial services industry to develop new business opportunities with the U.S. Government.
- Served as Director, Business Development with Time Warner’s Road Runner High Speed Online as well as with other top tier companies during the nascent days of the Internet revolution in the mid-late 1990s.
- Received media coverage for his work and/or provided commentary in various media properties including: ABC Radio Networks, BusinessWeek, CNN Headline News, FOX News, Los Angeles Times, The New York Times, The Philadelphia Inquirer, Philadelphia Business Journal, 6ABC (Philadelphia), KYW Newsradio (Philadelphia), The San Jose Mercury News, The Seattle Times, USA Today, The Wall Street Journal, etc.
- Provided business consulting services to an online healthcare company after its servers and its clients’ personal data were breached.
- Provides business consulting services to Universal Atlantic Systems, Inc. d/b/a UAS, a national provider of integrated security services which serves a diverse client base including food service providers, convenience stores and retailers.
Previously, Jon worked with various high profile companies in the following
- Chairman & CEO - Catavault, a single sign-on security software firm that eliminated the need for multiple authentication credentials such as user names, PINs and passwords (Time Warner Cable was its largest client) – see above for additional information.
- Vice President, Business Development - MoreCom, a cable TV software concern in the IPTV arena (acquired by Liberate Technologies for approximately $561 million).
- Director, Business Development - Time Warner’s Road Runner High Speed Online (Road Runner was spun off as a separate entity after receiving hundreds of millions of dollars in equity stake investments from the likes of Compaq).
- Analyst and Business Development Consultant - Comcast Online Communications launch team (started when Comcast had 48 trial homes in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, which evolved into Comcast High-Speed Internet and the nation's largest broadband provider with over 11 million subscribers).
- Account Executive - EZ Communications/WIOQ-FM (Q102) in Philadelphia (clients included Anheuser-Busch, Coca-Cola and Sears).
In 2005, Jon received the Philadelphia Business Journal’s 40 Under 40 award which recognized Jon’s labor of love with The Constitutional Walking Tour and honored “proven performers in their respective industries and communities.”
Jon serves as Peer Chair to Anti-Defamation League’s Glass Leadership Institute in Philadelphia. Jon also serves on the Advisory Board of Solution Media. Jon has also served as a Fellow of the Irwin L. Gross eBusiness Institute at Temple’s Fox School of Business. Additionally, Jon previously served on the National Advisory Board of DoctorQuality; it was subsequently acquired by Quantros in 2003.
Sample Speaking Engagements
- Columbia Business School - Columbia Entrepreneurs’ Organization
- Temple University’s Fox School of Business
- University of Pennsylvania’s Wharton School - Leadership in the Business World
- eTV World
- Friends of Independence National Historical Park
- Anti-Defamation League’s Board of Directors, Philadelphia
- BA, University of Pennsylvania
- MBA, Columbia Business School
- Jon works and lives in Center City Philadelphia along with his wife, Leslie, and their daughter, Lexi.
- Jon is an avid supporter of the Olympic Movement and its ideals, and he enjoys attending both the Summer and Winter Olympics to root for Team USA. Jon and his family were one of the five international winning families in the Olympic Families Tour Beijing contest sponsored by The Beijing Organizing Committee for the Games of the XXIX Olympics (BOCOG) to help celebrate the one year countdown to the Beijing 2008 Olympics. Jon’s family blog about the Olympics was one of the top five international vote recipients in this worldwide contest.
Bari Expert Services - Download in PDF Format | Bari Bio - Download in PDF Format